Remember when Oprah gave her entire audience cars? They’re all crying and hugging each other, and Oprah’s storming the stage and pointing and yelling, “YOU get a car! YOU get a car! YOU get a car!” That was awesome, right?
Okay, so I’ll admit, I’m no Oprah (I’m much taller), but in my own little world, I get to do the same kind of thing today. You lovely ladies who entered the Moxie Luxe pendant giveaway contest? “YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant! YOU get a pendant!”
(Wow. THAT was fun.)
Most of you I see fairly often or I know where you live (mwahahahaha) and I’ll be sure to get your booty to you ASAP. Lettie and Kareen, please email me your addresses, laura AT swissarmywives DOT com. Thanks!
See the winning designs below! Note: I had to adjust some of the color combinations to make it work in the process, but I do hope you like or even love!
If you haven’t already, please “like” the Moxie Luxe Facebook page, and if you think of it, perhaps tell a friend or 200.
Oh, boy. I’m working on a post about the awesomely awesome First Monday Trade Days in Canton, Texas (sa-lute!) and I keep looking at this photo I snapped back in November. It’s all kinds of wrong and funny at the same time …
Well, hey there! My name is Dixie and I need a caption real bad!
Let’s give it a caption, shall we? Leave your best quip in comments and I dunno, the winner gets a big fat kiss on the lips from moi! Mwah!
Olé! Here in Dallas Texas USA the temperatures will approach the 80s this afternoon AND it’s National Margarita Day. Golly. If you don’t know what that means, let me give you a tip: P-A-T-I-O!
In honor of this most auspicious occasion, yours truly offers up FIVE ways to celebrate locally. You’re welcome.
1) Head over to Ozona Bar & Grill on Greenville Avenue. The margaritas are not fantastic, though good enough on a day like this, but the patio is one of my favorites in this fair burg. I’d also venture to say they have one of the best chicken fried steaks in Dallas. Yesssssssssssss.
2) Dine and drink at Mariano’s Hacienda on Skillman. Adequate patio, yummy comida, and delish margaritas. Mariano’s claim to fame is the owner, Mario Martinez, invented the frozen margarita machine. Now THAT is something worth celebrating, no?
3) Mi Cocina. Say it with me: Mambo Taxi. Say it twice to a bartender or waiter, then call a taxi. They’re strong AND good, which is not always the case.
4) Not feeling adventuresome and/or counting calories, but want to properly celebrate this, um, holiday? Pick up a bottle of Skinnygirl Margarita at your local liquor store (it’s the real deal not a mix, so you won’t find it at the grocery store in Dallas). If you haven’t tried this yet, you DO NOT know what you’re missing. It’s all pre-mixed and de-lish poured over a coupla ice cubes. (Also? I heart Bethenney Frankel, inventor of the Skinnygirl Margarita. I want to braid her hair and trade friendship bracelets. Seriously. If you don’t know who she is, I don’t know if we can be friends anymore. *Sigh.* If you do, are you watching the new season of “Bethenney Ever After“? I’ve DVR’d the first episode of season three … I’m DYING to watch it. That is all.)
5) Make a run to the liquor store, concoct your own “Perfect Margarita,” and then set up camp on your patio/balcony/kitchen floor. My college bestie, Canned Ham Pam (hi! miss ya! love ya!) and I picked up this postcard at the original Margaritaville in HEAVEN Key West almost 19 years ago. I venture to guess this postcard recipe is hard to come by now, since ol’ Jimmy SOLD-OUT went all corporate on us and started hawking his own hooch. DO NOT forget to toss the salt over your shoulder! Enjoy!
My favorite margarita recipe. Hands down. Note the creases on this much loved postcard.
Well, hey there! How are you? What have you been up to? Me? I’ve been in the kitchen … making JEWELRY. Yep, you read that right. Jewelry.
Last summer, for a baby shower honoring the lovely Nata, I made these magnets:
I loved the process. And, I really fancied how the glass could make each image look a little different. It kind of fascinated me.
I kept fiddling with designs and improving how I put them together thinking something along these lines, with my Letter Project, could be great Christmas presents. When my computing abilities went south (remember THIS?) I stopped toying with it and set it aside.
Then, about a month ago I started it up again. I had jotted down, sketched, and Pinned a kajillion different designs and inspirations, in addition to the letters, and it was on like Donkey Kong.
At first, I posted a few photos to Facebook to see what my girlfriends thought and I was really surprised by the response (giggly and disbelief would be MY response) … I took a few pieces to a friend’s birthday party and a couple of girlfriends bought them on the spot (thanks, GiGi and Lizzie!). Since then, I’ve added so many designs I’ve lost count (I need to work on inventory management, ahem), dubbed them “baubles,” named the business, designed a logo, set up an online store, added a Facebook page, made business cards, donated a ring to a silent auction, sold a few pieces at a shopping party (thank you, Brandy!), filled a few custom orders for Valentine’s Day, created a fundraising collection, and now I’m working to get my baubles into stores and other online spaces, and set up more fundraisers, as well as shopping parties. People, I am DOING THIS and I am having a blast.
So now, to share the love, I’m giving you all a chance to win a Moxie Luxe piece! Here’s how we’ll do it: a) Share (in comments) a short quote or saying (three to seven words max), and b) your favorite combo of two colors (be as specific as possible). I’ll pick my favorite (and mayhaps a few runners up) and announce the winner Monday along with the reveal of the new piece, which will also be named after the winner. The winner can choose from a pendant or a ring (I’m running short on bracelets, as sourcing this stuff can be tricky).
You can enter multiple times, and I’ll close the contest Thursday night. Thanks for playing! Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!
We're a little bit country. We're a little bit rock 'n' roll. Swiss Army Wives will tell you where you can go, what you can do with yourself, and how to look good, smell nice, be well-fed, and keep your house clean while doing it. Man up, Nancy.
Nearly twenty years later, two girlfriends from college use their Wonder Twin powers to activate a blog. We're two busy moms (+friends) who blog about life, kids, marriage, family, careers, politics, social issues, music, books, movies, food and drink, entertaining and other domestic travails, and our thoughts on looking and feeling good.